The Riverview Health Centre Neurology Rehabilitation: Stroke Program provides comprehensive, interdisciplinary inpatient rehabilitation for adults with neurological impairments due to stroke (cerebral vascular accidents).
Care is provided from the active rehabilitation stage through discharge, with a focus on preparation re-entry to the community. Length of stay is set based on assessment findings and the resources available in the community. The target discharge date set on admission, may change during the course of rehabilitation.
The Program and its Referral Process
The Stroke Rehab Program primarily addresses the rehabilitation needs of patients with neurological impairments and disabilities related to cerebral vascular accidents who would benefit from intense rehabilitation.
Admission of a patient to the Riverview Health Centre Stroke Rehab Program is initiated by written application by a physician to the regional Rehab/Geriatrics Program Coordinated Entry Office Fax: (204) 471-1964. Requests for additional information will be made of the referral source as necessary.
Objectives of the Program
- To provide specialized and coordinated interdisciplinary team assessment, planning, care and treatment approaches with an emphasis on continuity of care from the acute stage to active rehabilitation and follow-up after discharge.
- To respond to referrals and complete assessments within the Winnipeg Regional Health Authority, rural Manitoba and/or Northwestern Ontario.
- To offer a holistic approach to meeting patient needs, including but not necessarily limited to physical, cognitive, behavioural, emotional, social and community functioning.
- To encourage and support research in various aspects of rehabilitation for individuals affected by cerebral vascular accidents, thereby improving the quality of services provided.
- To provide educational programs for patients/families/team members and other appropriate stakeholders.
About the Unit
The Stroke Rehab Program is located on 4 East, a 30-bed unit. Patients have private bedrooms, each with their own bathroom. There is a communal dining area and lounge for use by patients and families. Therapy programs are primarily provided off the unit in a central rehabilitation treatment area. Dependent on patient needs the program will provide or have consultative services from:
- Clinical Nutrition
- Home Care
- Medical Specialists
- Occupational Therapy
- Rehabilitation Engineering for special devices
- Respiratory Therapy
- Speech and Language Pathology
- Social Work
- Spiritual Care
Components of the Program
Patients will be assessed and provided with treatment and care by an interdisciplinary team. Treatment programs are established and patient progress is monitored at regular intervals. Treatment programs typically address the areas of:
- Physical functioning
- Cognitive functioning
- Behavioural and emotional functioning
- Social and community functioning
For more information on this program, contact the Patient Care Manager at: