December 24, 2020 COVID-19 Update24 December 2020
24 December 2020
We have been made aware today that a contracted staff member employed at Riverview Health Centre has tested positive for COVID-19. This individual works night shifts and has no direct contact with our patients or residents. However, based on review by the WRHA and following provincial guidelines, an outbreak must be declared at Riverview Health Centre for our Personal Care Home units.
We appreciate this is unsettling news for our patients, residents and their loved ones. Please be assured that we have moved quickly to investigate this situation. The health of our patients, residents and employees is our top priority.
Out of an abundance of caution, we will be implementingthe following measures on our Personal Care Home units:
• Admissions to our Personal Care Home will be suspended
• Communal meals and recreation activities for all residents will be modified
• Residents will be encouraged to remain in their rooms as much as possible
• Residents will be closely monitored and have their vital signs checked twice daily. Any Residents who develop any signs or symptoms associated with covid-19 will be tested. Family will be notified of any changes to their loved one’s condition, and if covid-19 testing is required.
These measures continue facility-wide:
• Enhanced environmental cleaning and disinfection of high touch surfaces.
• Ensuring the proper use of Personal Protective Equipment, including donning and doffing of equipment.
• Ensuring physical distancing on units and common areas.
• Promoting proper hand hygiene practices.
• Staff screening upon arrival to work.
Designated PCH family caregiver visitors may continue to visit at this time. Essential visitation may continue on our hospital/program units at this time as well. All visitors will be screened and required to wear the recommended personal protective equipment (PPE).
We would like to assure the RHC community we are doing everything we can to prevent the transmission of COVID-19 at our facility. Our efforts continue to keep patients, residents, staff and our community safe.
Regular updates will be provided on this web page and our covid-19 phone line. If you have questions specific to your loved one’s health condition, please contact the nursing staff on the unit.
Thank you for your understanding and support.
RHC Senior Leadership Team